Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Sangria

Is it cheating if it's not a recipe of my own design?  Even if I link you to the original recipe?  Even if when I make it I usually have to multiply the measurements by 8?  And even if I've altered the recipe and directions slightly?

Well at any rate, here is a recipe for Sangria by the Food Network's natural foods loving chef Ellie Krieger.  During the summer, I'm constantly making this recipe for my troves of relatives to sip on the lakefront.  Also, her directions for making red sangria are the same as the directions for white sangria (though I like to do peaches in stead of apples in the white sangria): 

Sangria: 

Ingredients

1 (750-ml) bottle red wine
1/2 cup brandy
1/4 cup triple sec
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup club soda
1 medium unpeeled orange, sliced
1 unpeeled lemon, sliced
2 unpeeled limes sliced
      2 hard apples sliced

In a pot ( I recommend a pot with a metal bottom rather than a bowl because it will help the sugar dissolve)  add the sugar.  Pour the brandy and triple sec over the sugar (sometimes this alone dissolves the sugar, but if it doesn't whisk the mixture until all of the sugar is dissolved.) Add the mixture in to a serving vessel like a pitcher or carafe and add the orange juice, wine, and fruit.  Personally, I just like to add a splash of club soda to individual glasses so that way the club soda doesn't go flat on you but you can also add in the club soda at this stage.  You can drink it without he club soda, but personally I think it's too thick that way, also, believe it or not, the club soda really changes the taste of the sangria to something that's a little fresher than it is without it.  And now kick back, relax, and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment